At Wild Ones Forest School we support children in engaged, real-life, nature-based learning. To empower children to grow confidently and develop through the ability to take risks and learn at their own pace. We believe being outdoors in nature is essential for children, getting muddy a few bruises and scrapes are all a part of growing up on the wild side.
What is forest school
Forest school allows a space for people, in particular children and young people, giving them the opportunity to learn through hands on experience, allowing them to develop their self-esteem and confidence.
To give those who attend forest school the opportunity to develop a positive and inquisitive relationship with the natural world. To help build self-esteem and confidence and respect for others and the environment in preparation for life in an ever changing world. To help each individual to achieve their holistic potential, support their emotional development and to have a good understanding of themselves and the world around them.
Principles of Forest School
To provide a true forest school experience our forest school is based on the 6 principles that focus on child-led holistic learning in an outdoor environment, these principles are:
- Forest School is a long-term process of frequent and regular sessions in a woodland or natural environment, rather than a one-off visit. Planning, adaptation, observations and reviewing are integral elements of forest School.
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural wooded environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- Forest school is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
- Forest school uses a range of learner-centered processes to create a community for development and learning, a learner-centered pedagogical approach is employed by forest school that is responsive to the needs and interests of learners.
With the above guiding principles in mind we aim:
- To provide an opportunity for individuals to learn and enjoy themselves in a natural environment.
- To provide a safe and non-threatening environment in which children can take risks, make choices and initiate their own learning.
- To help children understand, appreciate and care for the natural environment.
- To help develop their practical life skills while outdoors.
Forest school is best experienced over several weeks with a minimum recommendation of 6 weeks. Ideally 12 weeks or more to let the children experience nature through different seasons and how the woodland environment changes and how humans need to adapt to the seasonal changes. Session length can vary from 2 – 5 hrs depending on your needs. Sessions will be run by our level 2 and 3 forest school trained staff.
Tailored weekly sessions – we offer tailored weekly sessions which can have a variety of focuses, whether you’re looking for links to the curriculum or wanting your class to work on their soft skills we have you covered. We can link sessions to all areas of the curriculum including science, literacy, art and maths. Sessions can include, den building, minibeast hunts, tool use, fire lighting, woodland crafts, campfire cooking, mud kitchen play, wildlife habitats, free play, environmental art, nature identification, team building challenges and so much more. If you have an idea in mind, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
One off class trips – if you have a specialist topic that would be best taught outdoors or your simply looking for a special day out for your class, we have so much to offer. We’ll make sure your class has a day to remember! Toast a marshmallow over a campfire and sip hot chocolate, climb trees, build dens, get hands on with tools and stuck into some muddy play! We will work with you to design your perfect day!
Memories are best made outside!